Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Kiefer Lime Update (kaffir lime)

It's been way too long (9 days) and I just wanted to post the updated pictures of my kiefer lime and compare it to the size of my lemon tree.


The pictures were taken in my study/indoor planting area.
As you will see in the photo there is still only one sprout. The other kiefer lime and blood orange haven't sprouted yet. I will be taking special care of that pot until the tree takes better root and grows some real leaves.







Some of you are probably wondering what a kiefer lime looks like, so I have also attached an image of one. It kinda looks like a small green brain. The one I bought at HEB Central Market in Fort Worth was a large one since I was looking for seeds particularly.
After I cut into it I found that the inside of the peel is smooth unlike the outside and the taste is like a normal lime but a little sweeter. You should never let fruit go to waste just because you are mostly interested in the seeds.



The fruit wasn't the original reason for the seed finding and gathering though, it was the leaves. A simple recipe for a green curry with chicken is below.


Heat a little oil in a wok or pan and stirfry 1 sliced oinion and a clove of minced garlic until the onion starts to turn clear on the outside.
Add 2 tablespoons or so of green cury paste and cook for a couple more minutes.Add 1 3/4 cups coconut milk, 1/2 cup of chicken stock and 4 whole kiefer lime leaves (or kaffir as most people call it).

Bring to a boil and add chicken cut up (hopefully boneless). Simmer on low for 20 minutes or more if you want it thicker.

Add 1 tablespoon fish sauce, 2 tablespoons soy, a little lime juice, and a teaspoon of raw sugar.

Make sure the sugar disolves before serving over the best thing since anything, RICE!

Don't worry about the leaves, they're edible and you can cut them up before putting them in if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment