Friday, July 1, 2011

Arlington Community Garden Progress

Last Tuesday I went out to the garden, just on the West side of the UTA campus, to check on the plot. The squash plant was doing pretty well, growing by leaps it seemed. I didn't know how many leaps so I decided to figure it out.
I put a stick in the ground by the end of the longest runner for a marker. That evening I went out and checked on it. In only six hours it had grown two inches. so it's probably growing at a rate of nearly six inches a day. No wonder it's traveled half way across the sixteen foot plot.
It's wreaking a little havoc as it goes, using it's tendrils to grab other plants that are trying to grow themselves. This is the one plant that I really want to grow though and don't mind a little havoc in the process.

2 comments:

  1. haha - i've always heard you could watch them grow, but never knew anyone that measured them! Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planted out squashes 2 weeks and they have'nt grown at all. The weather here is terrible at the moment.

    ReplyDelete